Mental Health First Aid
Identify. Understand. Respond.
Mental Health First Aid, governed by the National Council for Mental Wellbeing, is a skills-based certification course that teaches participants how to identify, understand, and respond to mental health and substance-use issues.
Both employees and students can register to complete the training.
This training is offered FREE of charge; however, if you do not complete the required pre-work prior to the instructor-led portion, $25 will be charged to your Bursar.
Why it Matters
Most of us would know how to help if we saw someone having a heart attack—we’d start CPR, or at the very least, call 9-1-1. But too few of us would know how to respond if we saw someone having a panic attack or if we were concerned that a friend or co-worker might be showing signs of alcoholism.
Mental Health First Aid takes the fear and hesitation out of starting conversations about mental health and substance use problems by improving understanding and providing an action plan that teaches people to safely and responsibly identify and address a potential mental illness or substance use disorder. When more people are equipped with the tools they need to start a dialogue, more people can get the help they need. Mental Health First Aiders are a vital link between someone experiencing a mental health or substance use challenge and appropriate supports.
How to Register and Complete the Training
- Use the link below to pick a date that works for your schedule. Keep in mind that the training is a 6-hour training broken up into morning and afternoon sessions.
- After completing the registration form, you will be contacted with your enrollment information.
- Set up your Mental Health First Aid account using the instructions provided with your enrollment information.
- Complete the REQUIRED virtual pre-work consisting of pre-tests, instructional videos, and post-tests (approx.
2 hours that can be broken up).
- PLEASE NOTE: You must complete the pre-work in order to attend the Mental Health First Aid training. if you do not complete the required pre-work prior to the instructor-led portion, $25 will be charged to your bursar.
- Attend scheduled instructor-led training with required materials.
- Upon completion of instructor-led training, complete REQUIRED virtual post-work consisting of the final exam and two post-evaluation surveys.