Easy Eats with Wellness
Looking for some quick and simple meals to make at home?
Join us for Easy Eats! We will show you how to cook several tasty meals all with common and easy-to-find ingredients.
- Taco Soup
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Total Time: 30 min
Servings: 8 servings
- 16 ounces Extra-Lean 99% Ground Turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 ounce pkg dry taco seasoning
- 1 ounce pkg dry ranch seasoning
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can kidney or red beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can corn drained
- 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 10 ounce can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
- 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- In a large stockpot, brown together the ground turkey, and diced onion. Drain off any excess fat. Stir in seasoning mixes, and add in the remaining ingredients. Stir together well, cover with lid, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve right away. Refrigerate any leftovers in airtight containers. Can also be frozen into individual servings.
Saturated Fat: 1g
- Roasted Turkey Breast
- Preheat oven to 325*F
- Place turkey breast in roasting pan
- Brush lightly with vegetable or olive oil
- Cook according to package directions based on weight, etc.
(This one is thawed so it will cook for 1¾ - 2 hours)
(Frozen would have to cook 2 ½ - 3 hours)
- Green Beans
- 12oz bag of fresh green beans
- 1 red onion
- 2-3 tbs of olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 475
- Cut one onion into long strips
- Mix green beans and onion in a bowl with olive oil and salt
- Place green beans and onion on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes
- Once green beans are soft when poked with a fork, take out of oven and enjoy!
- Vegan Mushroom Gravy
Prep Time 5 mins | Cook Time 30 mins | Total Time 35 mins
Servings: 12 (Makes about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces mushrooms
- 5 - 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- In a medium pot or high sided skillet, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and slowly sauté until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown, 5 – 10 minutes. I like to slowly sauté them in this recipe as it allows the onions to caramelize for a rich flavor, but if you’re in a rush, a quick sauté will suffice.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms have darkened and released their juices, 5 – 10 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, using 5 tablespoons for a thinner gravy, and 6 tablespoons for a thicker gravy. Stir the flour in and cook for 1 minute to heat, then stir in the vegetable broth, thyme, and black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 – 10 minutes until the gravy thickens as desired. It will be a bit thicker as it cools. Different vegetable broths may have more or less salt, so you can add salt to taste if needed. Remove from heat and serve.
- Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 1 hour | Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Ingredients For the Sweet Potato Filling:
- 3 lb. of sweet potato (3 medium-sized sweet potatoes)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar (add more for sweeter casserole)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients For the Oat Pecan Crumble:
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup blended into oat flour
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake or boil sweet potatoes until tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the oat pecan topping.
- Blend 1/2 cup of the oats into fine oat flour using a food processor.
- Add the rest of the topping ingredients and pulse to combine into a crumbly mixture.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes and the rest of the filling ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix with a hand-held electric mixer.
- Spread the sweet potato filling in an approximately 8×8 inch baking dish or a 1.5-2 qt. oven-safe casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the oat pecan topping evenly over top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
*This is not a very “sweet” sweet potato casserole. If you prefer a sweeter casserole, you will definitely want to increase your maple syrup or coconut sugar quantity, or substitute a different variety of sweetening agent for the potato filling.
- Slow Cooker Mashed Cauliflower
Prep Time: 7 minutes | Cook Time: 4 hours
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 lbs cauliflower (2 medium heads or already riced cauliflower)
- 3 large garlic cloves
- Water to cover
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Remove outer leaves, wash and chop into large pieces cauliflower.
- Add to a large slow cooker, along with garlic and enough water to cover (stir to make sure no cauliflower is sticking out).
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Drain cauliflower and garlic in a colander really well (otherwise mashed cauliflower consistency will be off)
- Return to a slow cooker, and add butter and salt. Stir to let butter melt faster and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Be patient, it will take 4-5 minutes because cauliflower has no starch unlike potatoes.
- Add in any toppings or flavor you prefer (salt, pepper, chives, etc.)
- 3-Ingredient Cranberry Sauce
- 1 orange, medium size
- Water (amount varies)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries; rinsed, inspected, and drained
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Rinse the orange. Zest the orange to get as much orange zest as the orange allows. This amount will vary, but 1 teaspoons is great. Set the zest aside until later.
- Cut the zested orange in half and juice it. Pour the juice into a 1 cup measuring cup (it won’t fill the cup). Add water to the orange juice in the measuring cup until you have 1 full cup of liquid.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the 1 cup of orange juice/water and the sugar. Add the cranberries and bring everything to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the cranberries being to burst, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. If less whole berries are desired, press the cranberries with the back of your cooking spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the pinch of cinnamon and most of the orange zest, reserving a pinch for sprinkling on top.
- Pour the cranberry sauce into a bowl or small serving dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining orange zest. Cover and cool at room temperature. Once cooled, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie
Prep Time 30 minute | Cook Time 1 hour | Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
1 unbaked Gluten-Free Pie Crust
15 ounces unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/2 cup almond milk (or another dairy-free milk)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Whisk the unsweetened pumpkin puree, almond milk, pure maple syrup, eggs, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, sea salt, and ground cloves in a medium size mixing bowl until well blended.
Pour filling into the prepared unbaked pie shell and bake in a preheated 400 degree (F) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees (F) and bake for an additional 40 to 50 minutes. The pie is completely cooked through when a toothpick inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean.
Allow to cool completely before serving.
- Breakfast Casserole
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour
10 turkey or chicken breakfast sausage links
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups frozen hashbrowns
1/2 each red and green pepper, diced
1 small red onion, diced
1/2 cup cheese
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Cook breakfast sausage in a skillet over med-high heat for 4-5 minutes until mostly cooked through. Slice into small pieces and set aside with other toppings.
Grease a 9x13'' casserole dish with the 1 tbsp butter (this is the best greasing agent to ensure egg doesn't get stuck - you can also use cooking spray).
Mix eggs together in a large bowl with salt and pepper. Layer sausage, hashbrowns, cheese and vegetables into casserole dish then pour eggs in overtop.
Bake for 45 minutes or until egg is cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing into individual portion sizes.
Storing: Serve immediately or store in microwave-safe containers up to 5 days in the fridge. You can also freeze in individual portion sizes in glass containers up to 3 months. Reheat frozen portions in microwave for 1-3 minutes until warm.
Calories: 235 calories
Protein: 16 grams
Carbohydrates: 12 grams
Total Fat: 13 grams
- Breakfast Burritos
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 5 medium tortillas
- 1 1/4 cups of shredded cheese
- 1/2 pound ground turkey sausage
- 10 eggs
- Optional toppings
- Diced peppers
- Diced onions
- Fresh salsa
- (Optional) Dice 1/4 of a large onion and half a bell pepper and set aside.
- In a large pan, brown the turkey sausage and separate into 5 equal portions and set aside.
- In a small bowl, wisk 10 eggs until well combined and scramble them in a large pan. Cook these to your desired consitency, and then separate into 5 equal portions and set aside.
- Biuld your burritos: Place one tortilla on a microwave safe plate and heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Immediately remove and add one portion of eggs, one portion of turkey sausage, 1/4 cup of shredded cheese, and toppings as desired.
- Tightly roll the burrito while the tortilla is still warm and set aside until completly cooled.
- Store the burritos in the refrigerator in a sealed storage bag or tupperware container for up to 6 days.
Calories: 445 calories
Protein: 28.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 24.8 grams
Total Fat: 27.1 grams
Saturated Fat: 9.1 grams
Unsaturated Fat: 18 grams
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes
1 cup white cheddar cheese shredded
1/4 cup blue cheese
1/4 cup buffalo sauce
8 oz shredded chicken
6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
Celery and Van’s Simply Delicious® Crackers for dipping
In a small saucepan heat all ingredients except cheese.
When mixture is heated through add the cheeses until melted.
Pour mixture into an oven safe dish.
Top with a bit of blue cheese and place under a broiler for just a couple of minutes. Serve warm with side of choice.
Protein: 20 grams
Carbohydrates: 4 grams
Total Fat: 12 grams
Recipe originated from https://amomsimpression.com/skinny-buffalo-chicken-dip/
- Make Ahead Breakfast Bowls
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1" cubes
1 green pepper, seeded then chopped into 1" chunks
1 onion, chopped
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp seasoned salt, like Lawry’s
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 green onions, sliced
tortilla chips, salsa, avocado
6 individual-sized containers with lids
Preheat oven to 425f degrees.
On a large baking sheet, place potatoes, peppers and onions in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoned salt and ground black pepper. Toss until evenly coated.
Roast for about 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and tender, stirring and rotating pan halfway through cooking.
Meanwhile, crack eggs into a large bowl then season with salt and pepper and whisk until smooth. Heat a large skillet over medium heat then spray with nonstick spray and add eggs. Scramble until the eggs are just barely cooked through and still slightly glossy then scoop onto a plate and set aside.
Divide the potatoes and eggs evenly between the containers then set aside to cool. Once cool, sprinkle with cheese and green onions then cover and refrigerate. Freeze any portions that aren’t eaten within three days.
To reheat from frozen:
microwave at 50% power for 1-1/2 minutes then stir and continue microwaving until food is reheated, stirring between intervals. Top with optional toppings then serve.
Calories: 458 calories
Protein: 24 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Sodium: 1539 mg
Total Fat: 30 grams
Saturated Fat: 12 grams
Recipe originated from https://www.thecountrycook.net/make-ahead-breakfast-bowls/.
Nutrition information was derived from that site and reflects the original recipe prior to the substitutions of healthier options.
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound baby bell peppers (12 to 15 peppers), halved, stemmed and seeded
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Juice of 1 lime, plus lime wedges, for serving
- 8 fajita-size tortillas, warmed
- Shredded cheese, guacamole, hot sauce, salsa and sour cream or Greek yogurt, for serving
- Preheat the broiler to high. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Combine the chili powder, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
- Put the peppers and onions on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with half the chili powder mixture.
- Broil until softened and starting to char, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into 1/4-inch-thick slices and toss in a large bowl with the remaining chili powder mixture and 1 tablespoon oil.
- After the peppers are softened and starting to char, about 10 minutes, scatter the chicken on top of the peppers and onions and return the baking sheet to the broiler until the chicken is cooked through and starting to brown, about 5 minutes more.
- Drizzle with the lime juice.
- Serve with the warmed tortillas, shredded cheese, guacamole, hot sauce, salsa, sour cream or Greek yogurt and lime wedges
Calories: 470 calories
Protein: 44 grams
Carbohydrates: 34 grams
Sodium: 1100 mg
Total Fat: 17 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Recipe originated from https://brick.fit/northerncalifornia/2019/01/31/recipe-of-the-month-chicken-fajitas/. Nutrition information was derived from that site and reflects the original recipe prior to the substitutions of healthier options.
- Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 sandwiches
- 1 1/4 lb flank steak
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 1 cup green pepper
- 1/2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 4 Hoagies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place flank steak on a baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour olive oil and Worcestershire Sauce over the top, and rub in.
- In a bowl combine peppers and onions and mushrooms, and add olive oil, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper, stir to combine.
- Dump around the outside of the flank steak, over the tray.
- Bake 15 minutes
- Broil 3-5 minutes
- Take flank steak off tray, and slice into very thin slices, and bite sized pieces. Add back to the tray
- Cover the meat and veggies with the provolone cheese
- Bake with cheese 5-7 additional minutes at 350 degrees
- Stir well to combine cheese with veggies and meat
- Load up hoagies, season with additional salt and pepper if desired
Calories: 552 calories
Protein: 49 grams
Carbohydrates: 24 grams
Sodium: 779 mg
Total Fat: 28 grams
Saturated Fat: 13 grams
Recipe originated from https://www.eazypeazymealz.com/sheet-pan-philly-cheesesteak/. Nutrition information was derived from that site and reflects the original recipe prior to the substitutions of healthier options.
- Scrambled Egg Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 12 Egg Muffins
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in sausage; cook and stir until sausage is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes; drain.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Stir in onion, green pepper, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix in sausage and Cheddar cheese. Spoon by 1/3 cupfuls into muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
Calories: 143 calories
Protein: 10 grams
Carbohydrates: 1.6 grams
Sodium: 356 mg
Total Fat: 11 grams
Saturated Fat: 4 grams
Recipe originated from https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222586/scrambled-egg-muffins/. Nutrition information was derived from that site and reflects the original recipe prior to the substitutions of healthier options.