Easy Eats with Student Wellness
Looking for some quick and simple meals to make at home?
Join us for Easy Eats with Student Wellness! Over the coming weeks, we will show you how to cook several tasty meals all with common and easy-to-find ingredients.
- Make Ahead Breakfast Bowls
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes'
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1" cubes
- 1 green pepper, seeded then chopped into 1" chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp seasoned salt, like Lawry’s
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- tortilla chips, salsa, avocado
- 6 individual-sized containers with lids
- Preheat oven to 425f degrees.
- On a large baking sheet, place potatoes, peppers and onions in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoned salt and ground black pepper. Toss until evenly coated.
- Roast for about 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and tender, stirring and rotating pan halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, crack eggs into a large bowl then season with salt and pepper and whisk until smooth. Heat a large skillet over medium heat then spray with nonstick spray and add eggs. Scramble until the eggs are just barely cooked through and still slightly glossy then scoop onto a plate and set aside.
- Divide the potatoes and eggs evenly between the containers then set aside to cool. Once cool, sprinkle with cheese and green onions then cover and refrigerate. Freeze any portions that aren’t eaten within three days.
- To reheat from frozen:
- microwave at 50% power for 1-1/2 minutes then stir and continue microwaving until food is reheated, stirring between intervals. Top with optional toppings then serve.
Calories: 458 calories
Protein: 24 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Sodium: 1539 mg
Total Fat: 30 grams
Saturated Fat: 12 grams
Recipe originated from https://www.thecountrycook.net/make-ahead-breakfast-bowls/. Nutrition information was derived from that site and reflects the original recipe prior to the substitutions of healthier options.
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound baby bell peppers (12 to 15 peppers), halved, stemmed and seeded
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Juice of 1 lime, plus lime wedges, for serving
- 8 fajita-size tortillas, warmed
- Shredded cheese, guacamole, hot sauce, salsa and sour cream or Greek yogurt, for serving
- Preheat the broiler to high. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Combine the chili powder, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
- Put the peppers and onions on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with half the chili powder mixture.
- Broil until softened and starting to char, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into 1/4-inch-thick slices and toss in a large bowl with the remaining chili powder mixture and 1 tablespoon oil.
- After the peppers are softened and starting to char, about 10 minutes, scatter the chicken on top of the peppers and onions and return the baking sheet to the broiler until the chicken is cooked through and starting to brown, about 5 minutes more.
- Drizzle with the lime juice.
- Serve with the warmed tortillas, shredded cheese, guacamole, hot sauce, salsa, sour cream or Greek yogurt and lime wedges
Calories: 470 calories
Protein: 44 grams
Carbohydrates: 34 grams
Sodium: 1100 mg
Total Fat: 17 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Recipe originated from https://brick.fit/northerncalifornia/2019/01/31/recipe-of-the-month-chicken-fajitas/. Nutrition information was derived from that site and reflects the original recipe prior to the substitutions of healthier options.
- Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 sandwiches
- 1 1/4 lb flank steak
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 1 cup green pepper
- 1/2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 4 Hoagies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place flank steak on a baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour olive oil and Worcestershire Sauce over the top, and rub in.
- In a bowl combine peppers and onions and mushrooms, and add olive oil, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper, stir to combine.
- Dump around the outside of the flank steak, over the tray.
- Bake 15 minutes
- Broil 3-5 minutes
- Take flank steak off tray, and slice into very thin slices, and bite sized pieces. Add back to the tray
- Cover the meat and veggies with the provolone cheese
- Bake with cheese 5-7 additional minutes at 350 degrees
- Stir well to combine cheese with veggies and meat
- Load up hoagies, season with additional salt and pepper if desired
Calories: 552 calories
Protein: 49 grams
Carbohydrates: 24 grams
Sodium: 779 mg
Total Fat: 28 grams
Saturated Fat: 13 grams
Recipe originated from https://www.eazypeazymealz.com/sheet-pan-philly-cheesesteak/. Nutrition information was derived from that site and reflects the original recipe prior to the substitutions of healthier options.
- Scrambled Egg Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 12 Egg Muffins
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in sausage; cook and stir until sausage is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes; drain.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Stir in onion, green pepper, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix in sausage and Cheddar cheese. Spoon by 1/3 cupfuls into muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
Calories: 143 calories
Protein: 10 grams
Carbohydrates: 1.6 grams
Sodium: 356 mg
Total Fat: 11 grams
Saturated Fat: 4 grams
Recipe originated from https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222586/scrambled-egg-muffins/. Nutrition information was derived from that site and reflects the original recipe prior to the substitutions of healthier options.