- Employee Wellness
- Intramural & Sport Clubs
- Outdoor Adventure
- Student Wellness
- Sponsored Programs
- AT Device Demonstration Center
- ABLE Tech Serves Parents with Disabilities
- Reimagine Your Workspace
- FREE Smoke Alarms for Oklahomans with Disabilities
- Assistive Devices for Children
- AT Device Short-Term Loan Program
- Financial Services Benefit Many
- Oklahoma Equipment Exchange
- Device Loan Program Benefits OSU Staff
- Hearing Screenings
- Prevention Programs
- Group Fitness Class Schedule
- Upcoming Events Calendar
FREE Smoke Alarms for Oklahomans with Disabilities
Are you or someone you know an Oklahoman with a disability? You may be eligible for a FREE smoke alarm or other specialized alert devices and free install. To qualify, applicants only need to have a professional attest to their disability.
Smoke alarms need to be replaced every 10 years (U.S Fire Administration). Check the manufacture dates on your smoke alarms.
For the seventh consecutive year, the Oklahoma Assistive Technology Foundation (OkAT) was awarded a grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to install smoke alarms and specialized alert equipment in the homes of Oklahomans with disabilities. This equipment alerts the consumer and gives them as much time as possible to escape a fire in their home.
This year’s grant provides this life-saving equipment for people who are:
• Deaf or hard of hearing
• Blind or low vision
• Use a mobility device (cane, wheelchair, or motorized scooter etc.)
Trained professional installers from grant partners Oklahoma ABLE Tech and Fire Protection Publications, install the equipment by appointment, and provide valuable fire prevention education.
Applications are available at https://www.okabletech.org/smoke_alarm_app
Information is available at www.okabletech.org/fire-safety or by calling ABLE Tech (800-257-1705).