- Employee Wellness
- Intramural & Sport Clubs
- Outdoor Adventure
- Student Wellness
- Sponsored Programs
- ABLE Tech Instrumental in Bookshare Contract Renewal
- Stillwater Family Saved by Smoke Alarm
- Tech the Halls with AT (New Assistive Technology)
- ABLE Tech Benefits Students with Disabilities
- Oklahoma Equipment Exchange
- Discover AT Discovery!
- Announcing TechAccessOK 2017!
- Try Out an Assistive Device!
- Smoke Alarms Save Lives
- For Oklahomans with Disabilities: Free Smoke Alarms and Alert Equipment
- Common Technology - Uncommon Results
- AT Device Demonstration Center
- AT Device Short-Term Loan Program
- Device Demo and Loan
- Device Loan Program Benefits OSU Staff
- Hearing Screenings
- Microsoft Accessibility Resource Center
- Prevention Programs
- Workspace Ergonomics
- iPads, Apps and Software
- Group Fitness Class Schedule
- Upcoming Events Calendar
ABLE Tech Benefits Students with Disabilities
College-aged students on OSU’s campus, as well as students on other Oklahoma campuses, can take advantage of Oklahoma ABLE Tech, Oklahoma’s Assistive Technology Act Program. ABLE Tech’s mission is “to improve access to, and acquisition of, assistive technology for individuals with disabilities of all ages.”
Students with disabilities have access to ABLE Tech’s comprehensive programs including assistive technology device demonstrations, device short-term loans, financial loans for purchasing assistive technology, and information and assistance services. ABLE Tech is housed in the Department of Wellness and students can visit the offices to get a hands-on experience with a number of assistive devices. Beyond that, ABLE Tech maintains an online inventory of over 2,200 devices and apps that can be borrowed for a 6-week "try before you buy" trial.
Focusing on the device short-term loan aspect of ABLE Tech, here are some apps and devices that can be borrowed for a FREE 6-week trial:
The first Is a very popular app named “Notabilty” for iPad and iPhone (Google Play app below!)
Rather than write about the features of this app, here’s a great video* that explains its features and capabilities targeted for college students. ($10)
* all videos below have captions. While captioning is not embedded, you can turn it on in the “play” bar in most of these videos.
So, how about a similar app for Android phones. Here’s a video reviewing “Evernote vs Bear.” Both of these are available on both Google Play and iTunes.
Here’s Evernote, available to borrow at ABLE Tech
Or, you can use it on a trial basis (in-app purchase) at the Evernote website
- Here's Bear, only available for MacOS devices (free, with optional in-app purchase)
For students with visual impairment,
KNFB Reader is a highly praised app, tailored to the specific needs of people who are blind or visually impaired. KNFB Reader makes access to print materials faster and more efficient than ever. The KNFB Reader converts printed text into high quality speech to provide accurate, fast, and efficient access to both single and multiple page documents with the tap of a button on the iPhone.
Below, you can view an instructional video of KNFB Reader and...
For students with hearing impairment,
the Pocketalker® amplifies sounds closest to the listener while reducing background noise. It is ideal for one-on-one conversation, small group and TV listening, or conversing in the car.
Below, watch a short video on the Pocketalker Ultra...
Take advantage of Oklahoma ABLE Tech ...
All of these devices, apps and information are available to every Oklahoman with a disability. So, if you're an adult and think this information could benefit you or your relatives or friends -- from birth to senior -- check out our website!