- Employee Wellness
- Intramural & Sport Clubs
- Outdoor Adventure
- Student Wellness
- Sponsored Programs
- Tech the Halls with AT (New Assistive Technology)
- Accessibility Apps for iPads
- FREE Smoke Alarms and Alert Equipment for Oklahomans with Disabilities
- Workspace Ergonomics
- Try Out an Assistive Device!
- ABLE Tech Benefits Students with Disabilities (Updated)
- New Site for Oklahoma ABLE Tech!
- Financial Services Benefit Many
- Oklahoma Equipment Exchange
- Discover AT Discovery!
- Common Technology - Uncommon Results
- AT Device Demonstration Center
- AT Device Short-Term Loan Program
- Device Demo and Loan
- Device Loan Program Benefits OSU Staff
- Hearing Screenings
- Prevention Programs
- Group Fitness Class Schedule
- Upcoming Events Calendar
The Department of Wellness offers Yoga Therapy for Wellness members and OSU students, faculty, and staff. In a Yoga Therapy session, yoga techniques (postures, breathing exercises, relaxation/mediation practices) are customized for specific health challenges. Regardless of your health issue, a yoga practice can be developed to help manage symptoms, restore balance, increase vitality, and improve attitude.
Why book a Personal Yoga Session?
- Personal Yoga Training can eliminate the intimidation factor associated with attending a group class.
- Enjoy individualized, detailed instruction and a personal connection with your teacher.
- Customize your practice and get advice on how to achieve your ‘yoga’ goal.
- Get group class recommendations. A teacher who has worked closely with you in a private lesson will be able to recommend appropriate group classes based on the private session.
Why book a Yoga Therapy Session?
- Yoga Therapy protocols and interventions have been developed for many conditions, including: addiction, anxiety, arthritis, asthma, autoimmune disorders, back pain, cancer, depression, diabetes, eating disorders, fatigue, fibromyalgia, heart disease, high blood pressure, hormonal issues, insomnia, joint pain, menopause, migraines, neurological issues, obesity, smoking, stress – this is just a partial list.
- Yoga Therapy is designed to complement (not compete with) conventional medical approaches.
- Yoga Therapy empowers you to participate in your own healing at all levels (body, mind, and spirit). It is an ongoing, personal commitment to health, happiness, and well-being.
- Your Yoga Therapist will develop a customized practice for your health issue. Ask questions and build a confident foundation that will support your continued practice. Learn how established yoga practitioners make yoga practice a daily priority.
What to expect in your first Personal Yoga session:
In the first session, your intake form will be reviewed, and your goals in relation to yoga will be discussed.
- Beginners will learn basic postures, breathing exercises, and meditation/relaxation techniques.
- Advanced students will be given instruction on how to refine their yoga practice or take it to a new level.
- Handouts and resources for home study will be provided.
What to expect in your first Yoga Therapy session:
- In the first session, your Yoga Therapy intake form will be reviewed, and objectives for your session will be discussed. You will leave the first session with an initial prescription for personal practice; this will evolve as your condition changes.
- You will learn yoga postures, breathing exercises, and meditation/relaxation techniques specific for your condition.
- Handouts and resources for home study will be provided.
How much does it cost?
Sessions are available to OSU faculty, staff, students, & Wellness members and can be booked for 1-hour or 1.5-h intervals:
- 1 hour session = $75
- 1.5 hour session = $110
Package of three sessions (6-month expiration from date of purchase)
- 3, 1 hour sessions = $195 (approximately 15% discount)
- 3, 1.5 hour sessions = $280 (15% discount)
How do I book an appointment?
- Contact Dr. Carol Bender by email, phone or text; email email@example.com; PH (405) 747-9826
- Complete the intake form for Yoga Therapy
- Indicate your availability and preferred appointment time on the form
- Return form to Carol Bender (see contact information below) or to the Seretean Wellness Center (visit http://wellness.okstate.edu for hours, location, and contact information)
- You will be contacted by phone or email regarding your first appointment
Where do I go for my appointment?
Please check in at the front desk of the Seretean Wellness Center, 1514 W. Hall of Fame, Stillwater, OK; PH (405) 744-9355. Please arrive five minutes prior to your first appointment to complete payment.
What if I need to cancel an appointment?
A 24-hour notice is required for cancellation of appointments. Cancellations are accepted by phone (405) 747-9826 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carol Bender, Ph.D.
Professional Registered Yoga Therapist (PRYT-500)
Department of Wellness
1514 W Hall of Fame
Stillwater, OK 74078
About the Instructor:
Carol L. Bender, Ph.D., is an educator, scientist, and professional yoga therapist. She is certified to teach Integrative Yoga Therapy, a field where yoga tools are used to decrease stress and improve overall health and well-being. Carol has taught yoga, stress reduction, breathing exercises, and guided relaxation since 2004 at Oklahoma State University and in corporate settings, medical centers, and her own yoga studio (www.benderyoga.com). Her students have included beginners, highly inflexible people, athletes and sports teams, individuals recovering from illness, and seasoned yoga practitioners. She works especially well with individuals who have musculoskeletal pain (back, knees, and shoulders), mood disorders (anxiety, depression, and chronic stress), body image issues, eating disorders, and basic inflexibility or strength issues. Her personal mission is to help individuals customize a yoga practice that supports their journey towards health and happiness.